• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

K9 gate on CF Gunwales

Reaction score
This Newish Swift canoe could use a couple eyelets in the bow, constricting ol’ Bogan from putting weight too far forward. I have some eyelets, but don’t want to drill a 3” hole if an anchor will hold a small bolt. Has anyone used a threaded insert in this material? What did or would you do? I’m thinking an aluminum screw-in insert with a good amount of Gflex.

I'm unsure of how you'd like to configure the restraint, but couldn't you tie an appropriate length leash to the thwart between you to restrict his forward travel? Tied with a slip knot, it could also release him instantly should that need arise.

Maybe you were thinking of something more akin to a spray cover to keep him back but not tie him in?

Yes, just some D-rings with a single strand tied across would suffice. He’s a good boy, mostly. Just gets too far forward sometimes on day trips when the load is light.IMG_2216.jpeg

Last edited:
3/16" hole and a pop rivet? Or for that matter, just the hole, or two holes, and insert the line through the holes and tie it off with a stopper knot.

In almost every aspect of life, I tend to lean toward the fastest & easiest way possible to get the desired result. If a short piece of paracord tied to the thwart will do the trick, I wouldn't be drilling holes in anything.

(that said, if you come up with some really cool-looking canine restraining system, I'll eagerly look it over to see how you did it. Crap, I'll even have a beer to celebrate your ingenuity... let us know where you land with it)

You could drill holes in the hull and string the cord through that if you're worried about attaching it to the gunwale.

Alan

I've used threaded inserts in canoe materials before, and they work well. An aluminum screw-in insert with Gflex is a solid choice, but glue-on D rings could also be a good alternative if you prefer not to drill.

Aluminum inserts are a good choice as they are strong and lightweight. Stainless steel is another option if corrosion resistance is a concern, but it might be overkill for small applications.

Back