• Happy Publication of "Star Spangled Banner" (1814)! 🚀💣🇺🇸

How many have paddled the Maine Island Trail (MITA) by canoe?

Reaction score
I have an insane urge to paddle the Maine Island Trail. I do not own a sea kayak or any kayak for that matter, however I do have 5 canoes sitting in my garage. I may not be the smartest man, however I do believe I am smart enough not to attempt some of the far reaching islands on the trail using the canoe as a vehicle or any of it to be completely honest. I have too much respect for the ocean and am very well aware of how the seas can turn on a moments notice. I am curious how many on this site have paddled some or all of the trail using the canoe for multiday canoe trips? There is hardly any evidence that a canoeist would or has attempted this so I would enjoy some feedback from the MITA Canoe warriors if there are any out there.

First, let me state, the only section of the MITA that I've been on was as a passenger in a sailboat. That said, a few years ago I stumbled on a couple, with their large Malamute pooch, on YouTube who shared their MITA adventures. They were both paddling Placid Boatworks canoes; Rapidfires I think. Anyway, it might be worth a search on YouTube to see if their videos are still up for viewing.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I've never paddled the MIT in any canoe or kayak, though I have sea kayaked in several places off the Maine coast, some of which were probably along the MIT. The cold and endless ocean is much scarier to me than big lakes, which are scary enough. I was quite nervous some of the times in the strange and unbalancing mini-maelstroms of colliding swells, wind waves, tides and currents, especially since I did not have a reliable roll. Being alone in the ocean unable to re-enter my boat is a daunting prospect.

This topic made me curious as to the exact track or map of the MIT. I couldn't find one other than having to join the MITA and getting their book or downloading some sort of phone app. Does anyone know of a detailed map on the web?

@Glenn MacGrady, Here is a link to the Maine Island Trail Association: https://mita.org/

@dcloots, I would be wary about undertaking exposed ocean paddling in an open canoe designed for rivers and lakes. They're not well suited to the environment.

I've done some sea kayaking on the Maine Island Trail. I vividly remember trying to desperately round a point, as an incoming wind swell arrived diagonally to the shoreline and forced us directly towards the rocky shore break. We had touring kayaks (with rudders!) and still had a heck of time keeping them pointed offshore. We would have been toast in canoes.

The prevailing winds in the summer are typically southwesterly 10-15 knots. With a long fetch, that can make for a tricky paddling surface under average circumstances, and the windspeed can pop up in a moment. So for any open passage, you'd really need a perfect day and be able to count on it staying that way. At the very least, I'd make sure you had a spray deck to reduce your windage and keep chop out.

Other aspects that are materially different than freshwater: The tides are going to pull on you significantly, so consult a current map. The fog can set up in an instant and is quite alarming and difficult to navigate. You'll be avoiding a lot of boat traffic too, so there's necessary equipment specific to the marine environment, like a handheld VHF, fog horn, running lights, emergency strobe and flares, etc. And the water is cold, year round.

If you pick your spots, time the forecast just right and keep the passages short, it could be great, but there's a lot more risk. While I would prefer to canoe almost always, I've come to enjoy my touring kayak in its own right.

Last edited:
@Glenn MacGrady, Here is a link to the Maine Island Trail Association: https://mita.org/

Thanks, @Pseudonym, but that's where I started my search looking for a free MIT map, unsuccessfully. As near as I can tell, you can download a MITA mobile phone app for free but you can't unlock all its functionality unless you have a MITA membership number, which costs a minimum of $35 per year. MITA's paperback guidebook is only available if you join MITA at the $55 per year level.

I would have thought the MIT route is publicly available information. So far, it doesn't seem to be.

I've never paddled the MIT in any canoe or kayak, though I have sea kayaked in several places off the Maine coast, some of which were probably along the MIT. The cold and endless ocean is much scarier to me than big lakes, which are scary enough. I was quite nervous some of the times in the strange and unbalancing mini-maelstroms of colliding swells, wind waves, tides and currents, especially since I did not have a reliable roll. Being alone in the ocean unable to re-enter my boat is a daunting prospect.

This topic made me curious as to the exact track or map of the MIT. I couldn't find one other than having to join the MITA and getting their book or downloading some sort of phone app. Does anyone know of a detailed map on the web?
Glenn there is no definitive track or trail other than the MIT is 375 miles of coast line which provides for over 200 campsites in coordination with private land owners allowing members to use their land. A paddler would need to map out there own route based on their abilities.

If you pick your spots, time the forecast just right and keep the passages short, it could be great, but there's a lot more risk. While I would prefer to canoe almost always, I've come to enjoy my touring kayak in its own right.
This is exactly what I am thinking. I have been eyeballing the Old Town Big Water 132 but my research is in its infancy. My son enjoys salt water fishing and I am considering ways to get us both out on the ocean safely while still being able to realize usage of the many campsites offered by the MITA. Not sure the OT 132 Big Water is the right choice but it sure looks nice (for a sit on top kayak). I just don't see myself in a touring sea kayak.

First, let me state, the only section of the MITA that I've been on was as a passenger in a sailboat. That said, a few years ago I stumbled on a couple, with their large Malamute pooch, on YouTube who shared their MITA adventures. They were both paddling Placid Boatworks canoes; Rapidfires I think. Anyway, it might be worth a search on YouTube to see if their videos are still up for viewing.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
I have watched their videos many times. They were quite busy for quite some time including inland waters. The Malamute is a beautiful dog.

This Virginia Paddler now lives on the Maine coast and has become increasingly familiar with its waters. Is it possible to paddle the ME Island Trail in a canoe? Yes. Is it safe? Maybe. There are days in July and August when its a millpond out there - especially before noon. But if you are going to try to cover any distance on the trail you'll need to be able to paddle in lots of nasty conditions - adverse winds, BIG swells, fog, long crossings, weird cross currents, etc. The weather Will turn on a dime and the water is always cold. It gets more dramatic the further north you go. The Trail was really conceived as a multitude of destinations for local day trippers (largely sail boats and power boats) up and down the coast, rather than as a multi-day expedition for paddle craft. That said, it certainly can be used that way, and for canoe jedis willing to slum it in sea kayaks, the Trail provides a nearly 400 mile trip for the cost of membership in MITA, which is very reasonable and a great org. And--if you haven't experienced the Maine coast, well, it's pretty goddam special.

First, the Maine Island Trail is not so much a trail as it is a collection of campsites and picnic sites. It's not linear. Second, I have canoed from Penobscot Bay to Casco Bay a couple of times. The big difference is that you want to take advantage of the ancient portage trails rather than paddling out around the tips of the peninsulas such as Pemaquid Point. That's no place for a canoe. Third, tides and currents are gonna get you if you don't plan ahead. The Sasanoa Gates of H.e.l.l are a good example. I just went through them on Sunday with nary a ripple, but they can be class lll. Fourth, just join MITA, you cheap b*st*rd. 😆 It's only like $40 for the year and you get a neat app plus a guide book if you pay a little extra.

I just finished a loop trip last weekend and am working on a write up.

Back