• Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry (1926-2017)! 🎸

Historic Adirondack guideboats on display in new exhibit space in Newcomb, NY

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like the loon and the packbasket, the guideboat occupies a chair at the table of Adirondack iconography. “It is strictly an Adirondack invention and an Adirondack craft,” said museum director Joan Burke, describing the guideboat’s enduring appeal.

Glenn - Thanks for posting that. I somehow missed it even though I subscribe to the publication.

Right now, stored in my barn, is an 1898 guide boat made by H. Dwight Grant. It was #6 of that year according to Grant's tally boards at the Adirondack Museum; the old name...don't remember the current title. I traded a 1962 Willys jeep for the boat back in the early 1980s, I enjoyed using it for a time but became too concerned with it drying out whenever it traveled on top of my vehicle. Now, if I want to row, I use a strip guide boat that was made by Pat Brown. Great boat with none of the worries associated with using a "real" Adirondack guide boat.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Pat based his design on a cut down version of the Grant design. Pat has been making strip canoes and guide boats since he was in early high school. He is now almost 70 yrs old and i believe he has nearly 1000 to his name. In earlier days, many of his boats have placed first or high up in the Adirondack 90 mile race, including a 34' voyageur cedarstrip he built for me.

Back