• Happy Invention of Scotch Tape (1930)! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🧻3️⃣🇲

Help IDing my new (to me) Great Canadian Canoe

Reaction score
Hello all. I picked up this Great Canadian last week and now am trying to make sense of what i have.
The skin is vinyl, several planks have knot holes and i cant decipher the HIN. Any help will be most appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5185.jpeg
    IMG_5185.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5117.jpeg
    IMG_5117.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5119.jpeg
    IMG_5119.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 37
Congratulations, the general information at https://www.usps.org/national/safety/HIN/HIN.pdf may help you interpret the HIN. It shipped in July, 1979. The detailed information at https://uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification-detail.php?id=4544 confirms that it was sold by Great Canadian Canoe although G & R Industries is using the GRV prefix now. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question,

Benson
Thanks. I thought that 79 might have been the date. But the 13 digits was giving me trouble. Couldnt figure out what was the extraneous digit. Figure it was the d

Thanks. I thought that 79 might have been the date. But the 13 digits was giving me trouble. Couldnt figure out what was the extraneous digit. Figure it was the d

The D is part of the serial number, not part of the three letter manufacturer code. The extraneous letter is the last A. HINs have 12 alphanumerics and yours is: GRVD4204M79L

Put that HIN into the following decoder, which I like and which gives you lots of info about the manufacturer:

I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the vinyl skin. I always assumed that these “strip” canoes went straight from canvas to fiberglass.

I'm only familiar with the vinyl skin from another Canadian canoe company, Tremblay. Could be the same company as yours, just rebranded, I'm not sure. I think there was a lot of interplay between the Quebec canoe companies of the time. The vinyl skin was an "improvement" that was used on wood canoes for a fairly short period of time. Benson might know more of the history, but I believe it was thought to be a less time consuming way to manufacture wood/fabric canoes.

I have direct experience with it, as our school canoe club used to buy Tremblay canoes on a regular basis. The bare hulls looked very similar to yours, in that almost any grade of cedar was slapped on, and the exterior often seemed like it hadn't even been sanded. They were rough but sturdy canoes, and very cheap. I think it the 70's we were paying less than 200 bucks per canoe.

The vinyl covering was known as verolite. Our canoes received rough use, and the verolite did not last long. It was inferior to canvas in the sense that it sliced easily, well easier than canvas. All of ours ended up being recanvassed, except for one I kept for myself. I probably should have kept the verolite on it, could have been a museum piece by now, lol.

In regards to the question in other thread about where to start, if you could post some more detailed pictures, it could help spark conversation. For instance, order of procedure could depend on where the bulk of damage is, if the rib tips are rotten too, things like that.

I'm only familiar with the vinyl skin from another Canadian canoe company, Tremblay. Could be the same company as yours, just rebranded, I'm not sure. I think there was a lot of interplay between the Quebec canoe companies of the time. The vinyl skin was an "improvement" that was used on wood canoes for a fairly short period of time. Benson might know more of the history, but I believe it was thought to be a less time consuming way to manufacture wood/fabric canoes.

I have direct experience with it, as our school canoe club used to buy Tremblay canoes on a regular basis. The bare hulls looked very similar to yours, in that almost any grade of cedar was slapped on, and the exterior often seemed like it hadn't even been sanded. They were rough but sturdy canoes, and very cheap. I think it the 70's we were paying less than 200 bucks per canoe.

The vinyl covering was known as verolite. Our canoes received rough use, and the verolite did not last long. It was inferior to canvas in the sense that it sliced easily, well easier than canvas. All of ours ended up being recanvassed, except for one I kept for myself. I probably should have kept the verolite on it, could have been a museum piece by now, lol.

In regards to the question in other thread about where to start, if you could post some more detailed pictures, it could help spark conversation. For instance, order of procedure could depend on where the bulk of damage is, if the rib tips are rotten too, things like that.

Wow! That explains a lot. It also explains the hull’s condition, I’ll post more detailed photos about that later, Thanks for sharing your experience. I was calling the skin “Naugahyde” lol.

Benson might know more of the history, but I believe it was thought to be a less time consuming way to manufacture wood/fabric canoes.

The bottom of the page below has a description of Verolite from the 1980 Tremblay catalog. The issues with degrading in sunlight are similar to plastic canoes. Their red canoes frequently become a very distinct shade of pink.

Benson

Tremblay-1980_Page_6.jpg

Last edited:
Back