• Happy Founding of Disney Bros. Cartoon Studio (1923)! 📽️🐭

Helicopter Rescue of BWCA Canoeists Who Got Swept Over Waterfall

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An article with videos honoring the skilled helicopter pilot, Grace Zeller, who landed on a tiny rock in the dark and shuttled in medics to rescue alive two of the four canoeists who had plunged over Curtain Falls on Crooked Lake in the BWCA.

Pilot Honored In Rescue Of Two Canoeists (Video)

"It was around 4 p.m. on May 18 when brothers Erik and Reis Grams watched their friends, Jesse Haugen and Kyle Sellers, approach Curtain Falls on Crooked Lake in the BWCAW. They witnessed the canoe move closer to the falls, then turn parallel to the falls, and then capsize. Immediately, Sellers went over with the canoe; Haugen, according to a report in the Minnesota Star Tribune, appeared to be standing in chest-deep water at the lip. None of the four were wearing PFDs or life jackets."

I was just thinking to post this, and was looking at old threads to see if we covered it. I think this may be the same folks who were fishing too close to the falls, but I can't find that thread.

I was just thinking to post this, and was looking at old threads to see if we covered it. I think this may be the same folks who were fishing too close to the falls, but I can't find that thread.

I had the same recollection and similarly couldn't find a previous thread in a quick search. In any event, this article provides a lot more detail about the logistics of the skilled helicopter rescue.

It is the story from this spring, 2 got rescued and 2 were recovered after an extended search and rescue effort.

The falls in the BWCA are well known and show up on maps. They are not very high. I have paddled Crooked Lake and have portaged around that falls. The trail is easy to see because it gets used a lot. There is something odd about this story.

The falls in the BWCA are well known and show up on maps. They are not very high. I have paddled Crooked Lake and have portaged around that falls. The trail is easy to see because it gets used a lot. There is something odd about this story.
They were fishing above them in the early spring, the water was high and cold and one canoe got sucked in and the other followed to help, no one was wearing a PFD. Sad and tragic.

I had the same recollection and similarly couldn't find a previous thread in a quick search. In any event, this article provides a lot more detail about the logistics of the skilled helicopter rescue.
Here it is. In the 2023 paddling deaths thread.

Back