• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

Freighter canoe opinions - shorter models?

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've kicked the idea of building a freighter/square stern for a few years and now that I'm actually building again the thought has cropped back up.

I'm curious if anyone has built or used a shorter freighter model (around 16') and what they thought of it.

My uses would not be traditional. It would basically be a replacement for something like a cheap aluminum fishing boat. Taking it on our local river when the water is high enough and toodling around on local lakes to take a kid or two out fishing. It would be trailered but I'd like something light enough that if we were launching/taking out somewhere without a ramp that it could be carried/drug a short distance to and from the water. Would prefer to power it with a 6hp or under outboard.

Alan

There is always the Nipissing that I built. I stretched it to 17.5, but you can build it at any length. A six horse is too much though, I put my six on it once, was white knuckles on the tiller, didn't want to take any corners to sharp. 2.5 suzuki it's good, four horse would probably work too.

What are the specs on the stock nipissing? I can't seem to find it online. It looks like green valley has been shut down and Noah's is now selling the winters' plans but I don't see that one listed.

Alan

The Grumman Sport Boat has a a cult following. I don’t have the foggiest idea how make plans from one but if you can, it may be what you are looking for.
Mine is of course aluminum, it paddles, rows, motors and a friend in Duluth, Minnesota has one with optional sailing his. I don’t think it does any of these things really great but it does do them good enough. It’s a nice stable boat if you are young and tough you can portage it. Fished in it hundreds of hours with my children when they were little. Truck topped it all over Alaska, currently looking for a small trailer. Little two horse Honda outboard goes fast enough for me, even upstream in the Yukon River.
I knew an Alaska Fish and Game Fisheries Biologist that drove one from Bethel, Alaska to Seattle, Washington using his vacation days. He didn’t do it in one fell swoop but over a series of summers did it.

I've used Square Sterns and freight canoes a lot over many years. My personal preference when putting power on a 16'-is a side mount. Keep the power under 3.5 hp. When you get to 19', up the power to 8hp. On my 21'HB, I use and 8hp unless the 20HP is needed for that extra boost against strong currents.

Gil Gilpatrick in his book about building stripper canoes had plans for a Grand Laker Maine Guide canoe that could be of some help. I would think building it full size would be an ideal boat for taking children on a long up river trip and float fishing your way back to the put in type trip (no shuttle).

Alan, I know you are really good with that canoe design software, I'm wondering if you enter a pic of the plans from this thread into an auto cad program, if you could print your own plans out. I could measure the width and height of the biggest stations and you might be able to go from their. I'm pretty sure J. Winters originally designed it as a 15 foot boat.

Alan, I know you are really good with that canoe design software, I'm wondering if you enter a pic of the plans from this thread into an auto cad program, if you could print your own plans out.

I thought about doing something along those lines but I don't think I can find the ambition to fire up that software and re-learn how to use it right now.

I did use the wayback machine to find an older version of the Greenval site that showed specs for the Nipissing.

I also read through both your square back builds. Very entertaining, especially the 20'.

I'd forgot that I bought plans for this little dinghy thing years ago thinking it would be a neat little runabout. I found them in the basement a couple days ago and am thinking about building it. It's stitch and glue and it would be fun to try something different.

Alan

Last edited:
Back