• Happy National Apple Day! 🍎

Chesuncook camping fees

Reaction score
I’m probably being daft but I cannot figure out from reading the North Maine Woods website if I need to go to a check point before departing from Ripogenus Lake for a couple of days of camping on Chesumcook. Can anybody offer some guidance?

Thanks.
Art

Last time I was on Chesuncook was 2008, so this is dated info, but as I recall, you pay your fees at the entry gates. Not sure how you are getting there, or whether you pass through a gate. They didn't take credit cards either, and I don't know if that has changed, so you may need cash.

I'm also remembering not paying fees on the way out. That 2008 trip, we started on Moosehead, crossed the Northeast carry to the W Branch Penobscot, then finished at the point separating Chesuncook and Ripogenus. So we didn't enter through any gates and I don't think we paid fees that time. That was 15 years ago. It's probably all changed. Why don't you call North Maine Woods and ask them? Also, the Gazetteer used to be pretty good at showing camp sites and gate locations.

Perhaps some Maine locals can answer authoritatively. In '08, no gate, no pay. As I say, it's probably changed, and maybe they are like many others that want you to register and pay on line before you go.

Unless I'm mistaken, recalling my experience when building a camp for a client on Caribou Lake, which is essentially the southwest arm of Chesuncook Lake and accessed from Ripogenous Lake and Dam, one doesn't pass a North Maine Woods gate when arriving at Rip Dam. Shortly before Rip Dam, one can turn right onto Telos Rd. and on that road you will have to pass a gate. This was as of 2014 or so.

Caveat; I've never been in that area........

Looking at the fee pages didn't provide much of an answer but looking at the map Ripogenus Lake is not within the NMW boundaries and for Chesumcook Lake only the west side of the lake is within the boundiaries (there is one marked campsite there).

From that info it seems to me that is you do not camp on the west shore of Chesumcook then no permits are required. That said the available areas may be private land, not sure what the deal is with that.

Most of the campsites on Chesuncook Lake are part of the Penobscot River Corridor. The Caribou Checkpoint is normally the gate that you come across when putting in on Lobster Trip and the other checkpoint entering the North Maine Woods from the west would be 20 Mile Checkpoint. I am sure there are ways to access the lake without paying the North Maine Woods fees however if you plan on camping on Chesuncook there are wardens that canvass the area to check your paper work to ensure that camping fees have been paid. I was on a trip with my family and was stopped by a warden as we were passing pine stream and we were asked to produce our paperwork. If we didn't have the paperwork provided with fees paid from the checkpoint I am fairly certain that fees could be paid directly to the warden. Below is a link for the Penobscot River Corridor.

Back