• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

Buggy trip down the river

Reaction score
Worst deerflies I can remember. Poor Bogan’s snout looked like the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor. I got his ears and head sprayed with DEET, which helped. At one point, the poor guy laid down and put his paws over his snoot.

Since pausing to fish was not in the cards, we beelined to the takeout. Average pace for the 7.54 mile run was 14:25, which is faster than I could have walked that far on pavement. We finished in 1:48:46. Trip usually takes 3 hours.

IMG_2990.jpeg
IMG_2993.jpeg

Last edited:
We just got back from the Sebago Lake region of Maine, and the deer flies were ferocious. Our poor dog wasn't happy, but she did manage to kill three or four of them (When anyone asks me what breed she is, I rely "a fly-catching canoe hound"). We use a natural-ingredient fly repellent for dogs (I don't recall who makes it, but to me it smells like A-1 Steak Sauce) and that helps.

Not sure if they bite while being eaten. I was a little worried his tongue would get bit.

So far as I know flys only bite for food rather than self defense so it probably wouldn't even cross their mind.

Bees, on the other hand, don't waste any time once in a dog's mouth. Sadie made that mistake on a trip once and she couldn't get that thing out of her mouth fast enough. It took her 3 days to work up the nerve to snap at a fly again.

Alan

Back