• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

bad glassing job

Pat

Reaction score
After 2 years I finally glassed the inside and it turned out really bad. I could see some spots not staying down good but the more I tried to work them out the worst they got. I ended up with maybe a dozen nickel size spots that are raised up about 1/16 inch and another dozen small spots. All on the bottom. I have read here how to sand and patch but I was afraid with so many it would be very noticeable. I thought maybe I could sand out these spots and put another layer of glass on the whole bottom. Thoughts on this? BTW weight is not as big a concern as being right. It will be used on local lakes only. Thank you for any advise.

If the glassing was done recently, (within a year ? ) Patches will blend in.
Me ? I'd patch. adding a layer would add significant weight, without much benefit.

I prefer to scrape first, then sand.
The patches may look ugly, but after you sand, and varnish ? You won't see them.

If the glassing was done recently, (within a year ? ) Patches will blend in.
Me ? I'd patch. adding a layer would add significant weight, without much benefit.

I prefer to scrape first, then sand.
The patches may look ugly, but after you sand, and varnish ? You won't see them.
Thank you that makes me feel a little better. It was glassed yesterday. I will give the epoxy a few days to cure good and then start scraping and sanding.

Back