• Happy National Apple Day! 🍎

Another Toxic Train Situation in Ohio

Reaction score
The Great Miami River valley is being filled with toxins from yet another train mishap. They’re spraying it down, so much of it will hit the river. Just another day in paradise. I used to roam that valley as a child. It was toxic then too. I remember fish there were were deemed inedible. Things got better once the nuclear weapons plant and upstream paper mills closed. Fish returned, although edible off and on. I’d never eat a thing from that river despite DNR pronouncements. Surprising I got into canoeing at all. I’m in the absolute worse region for nature activities, particularly watersports…or outdoor breathing.

Very sad, sorry to hear that. Homo sapiens are homo sapiens biggest enemy ( my attempt at pc-ness). I feel bad for places like the moon and Mars, we are in the process of formulating grand ideas for them.

The Great Miami River valley is being filled with toxins from yet another train mishap

I’m in the absolute worse region for nature activities, particularly watersports…or outdoor breathing.
As of West Virginia native I offer my sympathies. Sadly pollution isn't confined to Ohio.

I spent a year in Ohio after school. I was surprised how many great rivers there are for open canoes. There's also historic portages between the Ohio valley and the north flowing rivers.

Back