• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

A Molded Plywood Canoe

Reaction score
I posted this on the WCHA website earlier this week, but thought that I would post it here too. I am interested in the background of these veneer constructed canoes, so if anyone has any knowledge about them or the Allied Aviation Corporation.

I picked up an interesting old canoe last week; an Allied Aviation Corporation 16’ molded mahogany canoe with what appears to be mahogany and white oak gunwales. The canoe hull is sound with a small bit of rot on the gunwales and stem, which I plan on repairing. I will also be soldering or replacing one broken stem band and cleaning up a few scuffs. Other than these few issues, the canoe is in very good condition. I have not yet tested the finish, which is in nice condition, to see it is varnish or polyurethane; I’m out of acetone at the moment, but I will be putting on a new coat soon just for safety.

I would also be interested in finding out if the AAC canoes had any identification, such as decals or deck plate decals, other the brass tag with the company name and serial number. This canoe has a hole in both the bow and stern decks with painters attached when I bought it, but I was wondering if it may have originally had eye-bolts?

I have not found much information on this company and its offspring “Whirlwind”; the threads on the WCHA website have been the greatest help with information on this canoe so far. I am looking forward to reading the article in the WCHA Journal on Molded Canoes. Should any readers have any further information on the Allied Aviation Corp. canoes, I would be interested in learning more about these canoes.

According to the seller, it was purchased by his wife’s grandfather, who worked at the company, around 1945 and has been passed down through the family over the years. It spent most of its time on lakes in New England and Minnesota before being moved to western North Carolina. Due to no current family members wanting the canoe, it went on the market. After seeing the canoe, I bought it. The mahogany hull really sets it off and I had comments from several folks before I got home and took it off my car. I have not yet had it in the water, but I look forward to seeing how it paddles!

Since I did not find any specifications on this canoe listed on the web, I thought that I would list them from my canoe for future reference. If anyone wishes any other measurements from this canoe, please let me know.

Allied Aviation Corporation

Serial Number on Nameplate: 849

Length: 16’0”

Hull Width: Maximum 34”

Gunwale Exterior Width 34”

Gunwale Interior Width 31”

4” waterline Width (estimated from internal and external measurement) 32”

Depth: Bow 18.5”, Amidships 13.5”, Stern 18.5”

Rocker: 4” bow and stern, measured from floor to the 4” waterline minus 1” for the keel height

Keel: ¾” wide by 1” deep

Thwart placement: Bow to center of Front Thwart 72”

Front Thwart to Rear Thwart (Center to center) 51”

Rear Thwart to Stern 69”

Thwart Width: 2.25” (Maximum width)

Thwart thickness: 1”

Thwart Length: Front 30 5/8, Rear 30 ¼

Exterior Gunwale width at Thwart: Front 32”, Rear 32.25”

Hull Thickness: ¼”

Weight 56.7 pounds

Thank you, and any further information on the Allied Aviation Corporation canoes will be welcomed!

Attachments

• DSCN1079.JPG
    DSCN1079.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1085.JPG
    DSCN1085.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1070.JPG
    DSCN1070.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1075.JPG
    DSCN1075.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1077.JPG
    DSCN1077.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1089.JPG
    DSCN1089.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1091.JPG
    DSCN1091.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1092.JPG
    DSCN1092.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 20
When I was 7, my first experience in a canoe was a 16’ molded plywood canoe built in Manitoba by a company called Plycraft.
Cobden, Ontario ( I have shared this photo here before) I’m in the bow with my two brothers
1724629865764.jpeg

1967, my last trip with the canoe before joining the army,
IMG_0708_Original.jpeg

Sadly, this is all that’s left. The canoe had a keel and it rotted out the center. It was just too much above my skill level to restore.
Good luck with yours, looks like a real nice canoe.
IMG_4801.jpeg

I'll confess that I don't even know what a molded plywood canoe is. It certainly looks nice and is quite light for a 16' wood canoe. Robin's 1955 canoe looks like it had some rocker too.

Good luck in getting more info.

A tangent, SouthernKevlar. How many canoes have you acquired since joining this site 26 months ago?

With a background in furniture design and engineering, I have always loved woodworking and things made of wood. I had wondered about the possibility of a veneer lay-up (i.e.. plywood) canoe for a while before finding out that they had actually been made. According to my info, the the technique used by the Allied Aviation Corp., who made molded plywood parts for aircraft in WW2, was to lay up 1/32" sheets of mahogany veneer on a mold, apply a heat activated resin, and repeat until the desired thickness was reached. Then it was baked in an oven to set the resin; this technique is called hot-molding. After baking it was removed from the oven, allowed to cool and then removed from the mold. Then the gunwales and fixtures were then added. This technique does result in a light canoe; Struer Kayaks of Denmark made Olympic flatwater C1s and kayaks of wood veneer, with their laminated boat bringing home 11 medals between 1948 and 1996. Some companies also made cold-molded veneered canoes where the laminations were laid up with a resin or adhesive that did not require a high temperature to bond.

Glenn, as to your question on how many canoes and kayaks I have had since joining 26 months ago, the answer is (as I just checked my records) 17 boats. My "Lifetime Grand Total" that I have owned is now at 38, but my current "collection" is now down to 13, having just sold a Bell FlashFire last week. These boats run the gamut from from a Folbot needing a new skin to a Sawyer DY Special (Circa1983) that paddles nicely but still needs "prettying up" to my custom ordered Northstar Phoenix in BlackLite with wood trim, internal skid plates (and still just a couple of ounces over 30 pounds!) the only canoe bought new that I still have and plan to keep for a LONG time. I know it sounds like a lot of boats, but it doesn't look like that many when stored in several places around the property.

Robin, Thanks for sharing those photos; these molded veneer canoes seem to be few and far between! I'm sorry that yours didn't make it through the years, but it looks like it had a good life and brought many smiles and memories.

Last edited:
Back