• Happy Birthday, Annette Funicello (1942-2013)! 🐭🍍🩱

4 man solo trip to the BWCA over Labor Day weekend

Reaction score
The deal was I was taking a solo trip and told anyone who joined me they were on their own for everything. Had 3 friends join up, they all had small sit in the bottom solo canoes while I soloed in a 14' 6" Merrimack tandem. We put in on saturday morning at entry point #30, Lake One just outside of Ely at the end of the Fernberg trail. Portaged and paddled our way to the back of Lake Three and set up camp there for 3 nights. All of us had hammock setups, I think this was my first BWCA trip where no one had a tent. The campsite was one of the best hammock sites you could ask for - lot's of trees with open ground under them.

IMG_20160903_093157577_HDR.jpg

This was the first ever view I had of the BWCA - Lake One in 1966. The road is now paved, the campground at the landing gone, the rules all different but the same rocks in the middle of the bay.

DSCN4599.JPG

Two of the guys in their solo's.

DSCN4633.JPG

Campsite was up on a nice rock point.

DSCN4605.JPG

Site was great for setting up hammocks.

DSCN4609.JPG

For all you spam lovers out there!

DSCN4554.JPG

Frying up a walleye dinner in my cold handle skillet on my emberlit.

DSCN4567.JPG

Took all my coffee in these little bags I got this past spring while visiting my daughter in Shanghai.

DSCN4580.JPG

IMG_20160905_192616761_HDR.jpg
Obligatory selfie

DSCN4612.JPG

Shared with the local wildlife. Didn't see too much of it though, a couple of otters, few ducks and loons, an eagle and a few chipmunks.

DSCN4635.JPG

Sunset the last night looking out over where a major fire went through 4 or 5 years ago.

DSCN4644.JPG

Managed to capture the lightning in the distance on the last night too.

All in all a good relaxing trip. Only took 2 short portages, did a lot of fishing and a of wishing my Dad was still around.

Attachments

• IMG_20160903_093157577_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160903_093157577_HDR.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
Nice report ! Making me want to trek up there yet this Fall !
Hoping to talk you into some more canoe pics of your trip !

Jim

Thank you for sharing your excellent report. That walleye cooked in a cast iron skillet sounds absolutely divine!

That vivid sunset is a stunner, s/b a 'photo of the day' ... (and a winner at that!)

I hear you on the missing companions. Think that all of us are getting down that particular rocky road at a faster and faster speed...it never slows down and despite regrets, there is no turning back.

(our camping group) We used to always make sure to talk about the missing man (or woman); tell some good stories as well as some truths...cook a meal they would have approved of, and those who imbibed, host a toast or three to good time's and loved one's now existing only in the past... and whispering a bit on the right breeze.

So we keep the good and essential memories alive as much as possible while trying our darnedest to make good new one's.

Back