• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Paddle making extravaganza

Four sassafras paddles—I'm jealous. And a very interesting variety of historical shapes.

I've never paddled with a voyageur shape blade and never understood the hydrodynamic purpose of the pointed wings high up on the blade. It would seem to raise the center of pressure higher up on the blade, which might be preferable for short, high cadence strokes. Maybe someone here knows more. That short beavertail would probably end up too blade heavy for my balance preferences.

Looking forward to following this project.
I've made close to a hundred paddles. The ottertail is one of my favorite deepwater paddles for tandem canoeing - it goes in silently and the power comes on gradually. A really nice paddle to use. I've always thought that the voyager, if it truly was based on voyageur's paddles, was a quick cheap way to mass produce paddles for the fur trade - it's all straight edges with a quick and dirty origin. The voyager paddles I've made never really did it for me. The ottertail is better, hands down, it's elegant

My 9yo would be more excited about a blocky paddle in Minecraft. He’d probably go whack sheep with it.
Lol, forgot to post this one........I told the kid he was pushing the boundaries of good taste by mixing ancient traditions with modern tomfoolery.
mine craft.jpg
For those of you who don't hang around teenage kids, this is some kind of character from the video game mine craft.
The voyager paddles I've made never really did it for me.
I got out for my first paddle of the year yesterday. I took the sassafras beaver tail, the voyageur and my carbon fiber sugar island thing. I ended up paddling most of the time with the beavertail, it felt just about perfect, even with it's multiple imperfections. It was my first time using the voyageur style, and I really didn't like it much. It was deadly quiet though, and I was really able to get a vertical stroke with it. I think if I had made it about three inches shorter I might have liked it more. Going to try out the new ottertail today.

Lol, forgot to post this one........I told the kid he was pushing the boundaries of good taste by mixing ancient traditions with modern tomfoolery.
View attachment 140601
For those of you who don't hang around teenage kids, this is some kind of character from the video game mine craft.

I got out for my first paddle of the year yesterday. I took the sassafras beaver tail, the voyageur and my carbon fiber sugar island thing. I ended up paddling most of the time with the beavertail, it felt just about perfect, even with it's multiple imperfections. It was my first time using the voyageur style, and I really didn't like it much. It was deadly quiet though, and I was really able to get a vertical stroke with it. I think if I had made it about three inches shorter I might have liked it more. Going to try out the new ottertail today.
That is a pretty cool paint job. Well done!

View attachment 140601

That’s perfect! My kid loves it, he wants it :ROFLMAO: I told him he’d have to make one himself.

Back