• Happy World Farm Animals Day! 🐄🐖🐔

Recent content by Mason

  1. M

    Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

    Many thousands of miles like that (hell, it's over 2200 RT for this one, and that was my 5th trip). No trip report--lots of lakes, lots of portages, mostly good weather, some not so good. A good time regardless. This was my (expedition) partner's first time in a fast solo. Most of his last...
  2. M

    T-Satellite

    I have a yellow and red jacket I used to wear for backcountry skiing. I called it my "dig here" jacket.
  3. M

    Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

    As a follow-up, 43 years of canoe design changes! Slabsides and bubbles.
  4. M

    Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

    Headed home after 10 days in Quetico. Only 750 miles to go! 2017 Tacoma, 2017 Wenonah Voyager, 1983 Wenonah WWC1.
  5. M

    Ursacks and Minimalism

    Same here--43 days. Lots of portages, so weight was important. Worked out, so another 42 day trip a few years later (and another 30 day wet trip). The last couple of trips I had a very light pair of pants for flying commercially back, with no use on the trips. Oh, and I did a fair bit of...
  6. M

    1982 Mad River Monarch- Kruger design for sale

    @tomo is looking for one Looking for Monarch
  7. M

    In search of mad river monarch

    Here ya go! Monarch
  8. M

    Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

    Or you could avoid the wife part altogether and stay single. A man's gotta know his priorities (said in a Clint Eastwood voice).
  9. M

    Hull Curvature & Track

    No bending needed--each one has only two attachment points. And it'd be a chore bending that thick extruded aluminum.
  10. M

    Lifting Canoe Packs Safely

    I don't wet foot. My kevlar Voyager has scratches. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it either. I either come ashore abeam with care on nice landings, or beach very gently bow first and step out to the side if there are rocks to step on. Sometimes I'll scoot forward in the canoe if the...
  11. M

    Lifting Canoe Packs Safely

    What's your traditional method? For me, I've found that even with heavy packs, if I balance it on both thighs, and then slip into it works the best. It's critical to grab the straps about midway up to provide enough space for your arm to slip through, and balance it on your thighs for a brief...
  12. M

    Throwback Thursday Photos

    Such a fun river. I lived about a half mile from it near Gakona.
  13. M

    Dry Pants

    They were Kokatat, but I don't know what model.
  14. M

    Trip report on Noatak/Colville Rivers in Gates of the Arctic NP and National Petroleum Reserve?

    I'm not the OP, but I paddled the Noatak a few years ago. We had one day of wet storm. We had an inReach forecast, so found a nice place to hole up in expectation of hunkering down, but it was in an exposed area. It was quite windy, winds expected over 22mph (which seems to be some type of...
  15. M

    Dry Pants

    On my last trip in northern Canada (Nunavut), which involved a fair bit of upstream wading, three of the four of us were using dry pants (guess who wasn't). Temps were mild, and I just waded in my pants, which dried out very quickly. The dry pants are also good for coming to shore in deep...
Back
Top Bottom