• Happy Read a Book Day! 📚📖🔖

Rio Grande River, Texas

Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing the editing of a video from a river trip my son and I took a few years ago. We spent 7 days paddling the Rio Grande River as it winds it's way through Big bend National Park in southwest Texas. This river forms the international border between the United States and Mexico. The desert landscape is amazing and so totally different from what we are used to back home in Ontario. We passed through 4 spectacular canyons and every day we encountered a dozen, mostly small, but fun rapids to run. Please check out the link below to view the video.
Cheers
-Wayne

Good deal, you guys put a lot of effort into that trip and the video too...interesting area too. I appreciated how this was essentially a multi-generational trip and how important and significant that was to you.
You got a taste of all sorts of weather too. I wondered a bit about the security in some of the border areas, since I have read things about smuggling, etc, though that area looks to be quite remote and inaccesible.

The video looks very professionally done.

What were the dates of your trip?

Not to nit pick, but your "cedar strip" canoe looks a lot like a wood-canvas canoe. Regardless, very nice TR. Thanks for posting.

The video looks very professionally done.

What were the dates of your trip?

Not to nit pick, but your "cedar strip" canoe looks a lot like a wood-canvas canoe. Regardless, very nice TR. Thanks for posting.

...We took that trip in mid-February 2015. And that old canoe...yes it is canvas covered. My dad and I re-canvased it ourselves, but the boat itself was made of cedar planks so I always called that style of canoe a 'cedar strip' regardless of whether it has canvas or clear-coat.
-Wayne

Spectacular trip and film, thanks Wayne. A thoughtful and satisfying family reconnection made it all the more special.
I love those canyons!

What an outstanding video -- the photography, the editing, the narration all excellent. That adventure experience will now be available to further generations of your family even if they can't travel there.

What cameras did you use? You did some nice tripod work.

That's a river I'd travel to paddle. Nice size and nice water level, to me, because I like to have do do some thinking and technical work. I don't really care for big, pushy, fast-flowing, float-job rivers. And the scenery looks great.

I think it's time for a Geezers on the Grande river trip.

excellent father and son expedition, a lot work went into that video for sure. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Glenn MacGrady asked "What cameras did you use? You did some nice tripod work."

The main camera was a Canon HF G30 camcorder. We also had 2 GoPro's that we were able to mount in various positions in and on the canoe. Some additional footage was captured on a Panasonic GH3. ...and yes, I always like to take a good, sturdy tripod along too.

-Wayne

Back