• Happy 53rd Wedding Anniversary, Maggie!👰🏻‍♀️💒

The Square Stern Build

Thanks guys, yes Jim, I bead and coved everything. We have such a sweet router set up at school, it's so easy to adjust height that it takes about 30 seconds to set the bit perfect. I also cut all my strips thick this time and ran them through the thickness planer, made for a very consistent width, so a nicer bead and cove too. Cut the center line last night, hoping to fill it all in today.

On a drive this weekend I passed a mailbox made out of an Evinrude engine cowling. I wondered "Does the letter carrier have to throw it in neutral and yank the pull cord to leave a letter?" It was an interesting mailbox, and it made me think of this build of yours.
I'm really liking the lines on this behemoth boat. Graceful entry and stable bottom, it'll haul whatever you can throw at 'er. Moose. Moosehead. A lot of both. Can't wait for the inaugural trip report.

Glassed the hull today, will get the fill in coats on over the next couple of days. Did a double layer roughly along the white pine area. Put three layers of glass on the transom, and then covered it up with the final sheet. Pics suck, only had my iphone do-hicky.

Looking good. You're gonna paint the exterior, and leave the interior natural right? It's looking like a serious hauler. I like it.
BTW. I hope you remembered to return the student's iPhone do-hickey, because we all know old northern teacher dudes don't carry do-hickeys like that.
Nice looking barrels back there!! I hope that old canoe pack is gonna be mounted and framed some day.

ps . What's the toboggan for?

That IS looking pretty seriously good there Mem. A real bruiser. I am picturing twin 2.2's on a bracket. I sold my 1.2 that didnt run and got a 4 hp that doesnt run instead. Much better. It appears that I fish a lot like you hunt.

Christy

Can't wait to see it off the forms ! Lookin good !

A sound dependable 3 - 5 hp outboard would serve well, in my thinking.

Jim

So I finished the square stern yesterday. Pretty lousy varnish job, the Hellman's was drying in minutes.

41lCcmp.jpg

So I hooked up my little Johnson and took off. It was a ton of fun, even though the little guy couldn't get me past 8 k an hour, with a tailwind. But it did run for hours with nary a hiccup. My wife likes my little Johnson too, says it will last a lot longer than those preppy looking four strokes. I'm happy to know that the ladies like my dirty little Johnson too.

FvS0fg0.jpg

Went all around the lake, stopped at a beach for a swim.

cTUqJc9.jpg

The cooler up front is full of water to keep the bow down.

S9rPLFp.jpg

Oh well, next stop Makoki Lake for a port scouting mission. Might upgrade to a 2 horse by then.

Nice job mem. It looks more elegant than I was expecting, not really a bruiser at all. I really like that front stem and those gunnels.
"The cooler up front is full of water..." Yeah, sure it is my friend. And that's a Pepsi sitting back there.

Cool boat. Bring on the adventures.

Looks great with that handsome cooler up front. Is that portage yoke wishful thinking or can you get er' up. HaHa, My wife likes my little Johnson.:cool:

Motor is early 70's. Ha ha Robin, I can indeed get the big fella up, but can't keep him there for long. It's something I do to impress the ladies, hefting it around, but once out of sight, I get someone else to help me. Good friends only though, can't have just anyone carrying my pride and joy.

I can indeed get the big fella up, but can't keep him there for long. It's something I do to impress the ladies, hefting it around, but once out of sight, I get someone else to help me. Good friends only though, can't have just anyone carrying my pride and joy.

I'm getting confused. Are we talking about your canoe or your johnson?

Alan

A wannigan would look cool up in front, and filled with essentials could provide the bow trim you need.

""The cooler up front is full of water..." Yeah, sure it is my friend. And that's a Pepsi sitting back there."

There is another cooler closer to the stern seat. Blue... to match the can I suppose.

Jason

The two of them go hand in hand, so to speak.

BADA BIIING
More innuendo than a low budget 40's detective movie. There will be no johnsons anywhere near my canoe, trust me on that.

And about the "Hellmans"...what did you do, cover it with mayonnaise?

You have rivalled my Y stern. I must now kick it up a notch and complete the Algonquin moose hauler. I fear the only moose it may haul now will be on the label of a beer bottle. I notice you said the cooler up front was full of water but you neglected to mention the other one in the back.

I will begin to reassemble the 4 HP tomorrow. It's on.

Christy

I naturally assumed the smaller cooler was for Spam. This all makes perfect sense. Big Bud Lite cooler in the bow, it is lite after-all, and small Spam cooler midships. I'm sure he's done this before, and has lots of practise.
I'm serious about the wannigan. Maybe make it a semi-permanent bow seat with a flip top, one side foam cushy for a tushy, other side weather resistant wood. Emergency supplies go in it. Small toolbox back in the stern. You could probably fix that little Johnson with a screwdriver and a hammer. (I told myself I'd stay away from Johnson jokes.)

Back